Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Getting Closer to God with Privilege Escalation

Whilst assessing vulnerabilities in the PC build I have I found the following. Now I always get pissed off when I hear people rattle on about the AT command and using that to get a SYSTEM shell. In my experience after XP SP2 you’re required to be an admin to run AT, so what’s the point really?

So rather than just focussing on holes in the Microsoft system, which frankly I'm not really talented enough to find much there, I decided to look at the configuration and implementation. In my opinion I would have much better luck looking for mistakes made by people not necessarily trying to secure a system but more trying to get a system to work.

In this post I'll focus a common mistake made by the guys who build the system which allows a standard user to escalate to have full system privileges.


Looking at Services

It would be nice to use WMIC to look for services that are in a directory that I can write to and that start automatically:

wmic service get name,startmode,pathname | find /i "auto"

However, when trying to run WMIC I get an error telling me that I need to be a member of the Administrators group. I could just go to the Services.msc but this means that I have to go through each service to get that path to the executable. A better tool I found for this is MSInfo32.exe



As can be seen in the screenshot I can quickly scan down the autostarted services for ones that have paths that I can write to. I also need the service to be running with an account with some decent privileges.

OK, VNC looks pretty good.

I go to the directory that VNC runs from and rename the executable. I copy Taskmgr.exe from System32 to the VNC directory and rename it as the VNC executable.



After a restart I see that I have no VNC in the system tray, so I go to the Services.msc and start it. Task Manager starts up for about a minute and then closes. Ok, that’s good. I start the service again and quickly launch a command shell before it closes, great now I have my system command shell. From here I can add accounts, change settings, install software etc... But maybe I want my full desktop. I launch Taskmgr.exe from the command shell, kill explorer from the process list and the launch explorer from File menu. Fantastic, I have a whole desktop running as System, now I really am closer to god!

+++

Share |

"make something then You never be lost"

wibiya widget